- What is Acrylic Coating?
It is the ThermoPlastic polymer coated onto the textile fabrics. These are Also called Polymer coated textiles which contain one Coat ( the polymer) and one Textile ( substrate) held together by the means of a specific coating technique/process.
There are two kinds of processes. The initial step is direct spreading of the Acrylic Polymers which is in a thickened liquid or paste form, on the textile surface.
If the thickened liquid is Solvent Based, it is allowed to evaporate leaving the Polymer on the fabric.
If the thickened liquid is of a Plastisol or Dispersion based, it is allowed to transform into a Coat.
- What’s the Method used?
Based on the type of process, the fabric is either dipped into readily prepared Liquid or the fabric is applied with the paste.
- Solvent Based Liquid: The fabric is dipped into the polymer stuff, passed through the squeezing rolls and then dried properly. The dried fabric is subjected to the Curing process, where crosslinking of polymer coat with the textile material takes place. The better curing is important to achieve durability of Coating to abrasion and to improve durability of the material to solvents and water.
- Plastisol Based Liquid: The fabric is applied with the ready /thickened liquid evenly on the required surface and then dried. The dried fabric is passed through the Curing chamber to improve the coating durability.
Acrylics are mostly compounded with Water Repellent agents for better results.
3. 7 Advantages of Acrylic Coatings on textiles
- Acrylic coated fabrics resist water & soil.
- These textiles can be easily wiped to clean.
- Acrylic polymers have good clarity, they have good resistance to abrasion.
- It is also considered a very economical method of coating.
- These fabrics are Machine washable.
- Acrylic coated fabrics are foldable easily without leaving any marks.
- This coating is eco friendly, has better stain repellency.
4. What are its Disadvantages?
- Acrylics are poor Fire Retardants
- Only 100% cotton can be coated with Acrylics
5. Characteristics of the coated fabric:
Slightly Heavier and feels stiff compared to non-coated fabric
6. Recommended Wash care:
30Degree Celsius, Gentle Machine Wash.
7. How durable is it?
The coating can easily last from 8 to 10 machine washes.
What is the minimum required for this coating?
To achieve an effective coating treatment the mill needs a minimum of 500 meters of fabric that turns out to be about 200 to 300 pcs of Table Cloths. Yet again sampling can be done as per the requirements.
To know more about it email at firstname.lastname@example.org